Thursday, February 25, 2010

Virtually Yours

It's very easy for me to tell a client what I think will work, but sometimes it can be difficult for them to visualize. My clients trust me, but being able to show them realistic virtual mockups really helps things click. As a designer, I like to take a few risks to keep things interesting. Being able to show a client a new idea in a virtual mockup helps them take the leap of faith.

BJ's Kitchen Plan Part 1

To make the space feel brighter, larger and more cohesive I made the upper cabinets and walls a creamy white. Base cabinets in midnight blue help the black appliances disappear visually. Tin ceiling panels can be applied over the existing tile backsplash but also used as wainscoting in the alcove to help unite the two spaces and make the small kitchen feel larger. Wood counters finished with tung oil are food safe and can be fabricated fairly inexpensively. They also warm up the room. Cork flooring is one possibility, though BJ would like to see the floor done with a checkerboard linoleum—another option we discussed. To add more light, I found simple iron lanterns that will work in the main part of the kitchen and the alcove in two different sizes. Bronze knobs and a new, yet classic, faucet feel more current and add a finishing touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment