Friday, February 7, 2014

The past year...

The past year I've spent a lot of time redesigning bathrooms, kitchens, closets, etc. As a design consultant, some clients choose to only use me for the design process, while for others I project manage from start to finish.

I receive a lot of emails about how I work. Today I met with a client who told me another designer in our area (with his own renovation team) laughed at her budget. I didn't ask about her budget initially. I was there to help solve a problem. Generally I spend an hour or two with a client, looking at the home, the living space, to get an idea of their personal style. This was a kitchen project, so I could have just walked into the kitchen and started measuring, but to me, you can't take a kitchen out of context. It's part of the home. We discussed how they cook, entertain, eat meals as a family. I looked at how the natural light comes into the space. The first idea I had for this somewhat awkward space may be the right solution for this family, but we spent a lot of time conversing about the look, the flow, and brainstorming. Of course I measured, and eventually the client mentioned her budget, which to me seems very adequate for the scale of this project. I always tell clients, my goal is not to spend your money, it's to help you make the right choices so you save money. I also feel like it's important to utilize the space you have and make the most of it, with the right storage, the right furnishings, and of course, the right style that works for you.

The pics below are a home office. The idea the client originally presented to me was much different than this. I suggested this layout which better utilized the third floor space and created a better work area.

Off to sketch some ideas for this new kitchen project!




1 comment: