Sunday, January 31, 2010

Keep It Together

I am one of those people who actually enjoys organizing. I find the more useful storage I have, the easier it is for me to stay neat. It's not effortless, but if everything has a place and you use it, it works.

The problem: Awhile back I was frustrated by a messy drawer in our dining room table. What started off as a few pens and pencils became a chaotic junk drawer. It makes sense to keep some office supplies there, since the kids often do homework at this table. The drawer is shallow, and none of the store bought baskets and bins I had purchased would work. I looked into customizable options, but they can be quite expensive. I wanted this to be a DIY project.

The solution: Thinking of the supplies we had around the house I came up with two options; trimming a plexiglass sheet into 1 1/2 inch high strips at various lengths and using silicon cement to bond them, or using some leftover wood trim and basic white glue and/or thin nails. I opted to use the wood trim.

The method: First, I dumped out the contents of the drawer. I sorted all the items, and limited the contents, storing extra markers, crayons, etc. in a dedicated craft storage area in the basement. I measured out compartments for the supplies and trimmed a few pieces of wood to size. I positioned them and using white glue, put them in place. Eventually I may need to nail them into the drawer, but for now this solution is a huge improvement. Had I not had this extra 1x2 trim on hand I would have bought narrower strips from the hardware store.

Total cost: FREE! Wood scraps and glue we already had on hand, and an hour or so of my time. Much better than buying custom drawer inserts from a place like The Container Store or Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I hope this idea inspires you to organize a cluttered drawer. Homework time is already less chaotic because pencils, pens, rulers and supplies are much easier to find. If you need suggestions or tips on an easy, inexpensive way to organize a space in your house, just ask. I am happy to share ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment