Friday, January 22, 2010

Things are looking up.

How could I post about area rugs and then not post about ceilings? Let's get one thing straight; have been painting ceilings for as long as I have been painting. Even when I went to school for interior design my instructors (all interior designers themselves) said they NEVER used white paint on ceilings. At the very least they would mix in some of the wall paint. I admit I have taken it too far on occasion. I nicknamed our first home's master bedroom "Bordello Blue" after painting all the walls and the ceiling a navy blue (and then glazing the entire room in a multi-step process). Hey, as they say, "It's only paint."

Some of my favorite rooms have been those in light to mid-tones where the ceiling is painted a contrasting color. If the walls are light, try a deep ceiling color for a dramatic effect (while still keeping the room light). One such bedroom is painted Benjamin Moore Adams Gold HC-18 and the ceiling is an almost-midnight blue, Hudson Bay 1680. If you want to make a room feel expansive, (such as a bathroom or kitchen) and you paint it a light color, do the ceiling in the same color.  A bathroom I am working on now will have white tile in the shower and white floor tile. A custom vanity will be painted a sage green to complement some glass mosaic tile. We chose Benjamin Moore Camoulflage 2143-40 for the remaining walls and ceiling. I have done the same thing with Benjamin Moore's Senora Gray and Coastal Fog, and Restoration Hardware's pale gray color Ash, to name a few. All of these colors are "atmospheric"—even though they are not white, they don't exactly read as color.

I have a lot more to say about what happens overhead. But for now, I will just say next time you are painting, consider your ceilings.

No comments:

Post a Comment